Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Wire weaving and how I solved a problem

I wanted to make a wire woven pendant.

 I had a  do nut bead which I wanted to adorn with wire weaving.

I have this wonderful tutorial by Gailavira and some previous experience  with wire weaving.


Look at my first try that I did a couple of years ago.
Alankarshilpa-   SOLD

But after a  couple of years gap of doing this type of wire work I found I have lost a lot.

Now look what it is doing to me:







What's wrong?  Why is the wire not listening to my command?  Because, wires have their individual memory, and their way of acting out.  I was frustrated, because I had done this project.

What can go wrong?  I was using 20 g for the base frame.  The tutorial asked for 18 g.  I don't
 have it handy.  I was using 26 g  for the weaving part.



This  time I used 20 g , because that's all I have , but  I used 28 g.

Oh yes, it made a big difference.  The wire is much obedient now.  It is capable of following direction.

I am enjoying the over and under basket weaving motion now.  And look  I did two of them.



And a third one !



So I learned that:

1. Practice makes it perfect.  It took me 90 minutes to make the first one, 70 minutes to make the second and only 55 minutes to make the third.  I learned to track the time it takes to do wire work projects.  It helps me when I do the pricing.  Therefore I'd do an average to price them for selling purpose.

2. 20 g is fine for the base.  It gives me better flexibility than 18 g  for my hands.  But 26 g as a support wire does not work for me.  The brands of wires are also important.  I found art wire by soft flex works best.  It is a bit more expensive but worth it.


Now, which one do you like best. The 1st, 2nd or last?  I am taking a poll.




4 comments:

motidana said...

Oooooh , these wire wrapped donuts are a beauty . It`s a difficult choice deciding which one is better than the others , But among the three I would say I love the last on the best , because the weaving in that one is perfect , and I liked the donut you have used in that one

Anindita Basu said...

Thank you Motidana for your kind words and comment.

Lori Anderson said...

My personal favorite is the one on the far right but I wouldn't say no to any of them!

And I learned the hard way that changing wire gauges can make a HUGE difference, especially that crucial wire wrapping bit of 26 gauge to 28 gauge. The horror of tangled wire!

Anindita Basu said...

Thanks Lori. So far the 3rd wins.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...