Thursday, March 17, 2011

Agony of artist's life

I had been reading about Renoir and  how he painted.  It is interesting to note that even artists like him had to go through such misery concerning money..  The story opens , Renoir with a broken limb trying to manage painting. He broke his arm trying to paint part of a house and fell down from the ladder

In his dreams he visualizes known people, common people as his models.  He murmurs to himself never to waste time doing things that you do not love to do.

He wants to sketch normal life, happy stories of his time in history...but the agony is, he has to compromise to things that pays him more.  He hated to take  salon commissions and paint aristocrat families all  seated on velvet sofas but that is where the money was coming from.

Do you feel like that some times?   Do you hate the marketing and selling aspect?

I do when I have to make the same pieces over and over.  I try to stay away from that.  And since I am not that famous and no one is really bugging me to do the same pieces, I do have the luxury to not do what I hate.

Actually at this phase I kind of like when people asks me to do custom order.  A friend of mine asked me to make some thing for a girl born in October.  She bought a  turquoise in copper  book marker I made earlier.

So I made two book markers this time.  One with tiny  pink tourmaline beads and the other one with rose quartz chips both knitted in silver heart.

Rose Quartz in silver heart


 Now Pink Tourmaline tiny beads in knitted heart

Both are October birth stones depending on the Zodiac signs -  Libra or Scorpio
Which one do you think she'd like?  Which one do you like better?



5 comments:

Almost Precious said...

Renoir was a great master with paintbrush and canvas and like all true artists he was torn between what he desired to paint and painting what brought him money...which of course money paid his bills and put food on his table.
Yes I too dislike the hassle of marketing with its demands of constant social networking (tweeting, facebook, and dozens of other time intensive sites) but I don't sell enough to be considered a success so I don't have to worry about not being able to make the type of jewelry that I enjoy crafting.

Custom orders are nice, especially if it is something we take pleasure in making. I think that both of your bookmarkers are very lovely. Perhaps your friend will find it so hard to decide that she will take both of them? :)

I want to thank you for the nice comment you left on my blog. Your blog is wonderful and the jewelry you create is beautiful. Your blog now has a new follower...Me. :)

Michelle Mach said...

Hi Dita,

I sent you an email about the button swap on my blog. Let me know if you don't receive it.

Pretty Things said...

those bookmarks are beautiful!

I'm in the opposite boat, I agonize a LOT when people ask for a custom order because I never feel I can get it right!

Miss Val's Creations said...

I love your bookmarks! Both are equally gorgeous!

Renoir was such an amazing painter. I have always admired his work and how each of his paintings make me smile. I think all creative people deal with the issue of having to create what makes money. But I feel it is better to create than not create at all. :) ~Val

Laura Bray said...

Very pretty pieces. I don't like to do "factory work" either. That's why I tend to sell my designs/tutorials to magazines. I make money and only make something once. I read the Renoir book too and enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by my blog and becoming a new blog friend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...