Saturday, February 2, 2013

Focus on Life Week 5 - Where is the heart?

Where do you see the heart?  This is the topic of our Focus in Life  for week 5

Are you kidding?  Twelve days left for the Valentine Day.  Hearts are every where.  You can't miss them if you enter any drug store...the candy isle will attract you like a strong magnet.  Hearts  are on every thing from  linens to love notes.  It's a Hallmark celebration... every item with a heart motif actually screaming BUY ME .

But Sally enthused me to go deeper.


Now I look for heart.  I wanted to knit a sweater for a little girl whose birthday is on the Valentine Day.  So I really wanted to find a pattern with a heart.  I searched it on line and in books and finally I found some thing in a book called The Encyclopedia of Knitting



Here is the pattern if you care.  My project is almost finished.  May be in the next few days  I'll be able to share it with you.



But as I was knitting I was thinking,  can hearts really be seen?   Diving deeper I remembered something that welled up my eyes.  My pattern got blurry.



I'll share that story.

About ten years ago my father came to visit us in USA from India.  He used to wear a woolen shawl.   Some times I used to wrap myself in it.

One such chilly morning he approached me and said, "Oh there it is.  Now why do you have to wear this very one while you have so many of yours?"

I gave it back to him saying " Because it smells...DADDY".

Hmm.

When he left for India I saw him off to the airport, returned to his empty room and found the shawl on top his pillow, neatly folded.

Later, I told him, " You forgot something ... your shawl."  He gave me a cute smile squinting one eye.  I knew he left it for me on purpose.

He died a couple of years  after this.

Some days, when I feel dark and cold and sad, and I don't know why,  I wrap myself with this special Kashmiri shawl and my heart fills up.  I feel abundance of love.  I see hearts everywhere.




Please check out all the other participants who are in this journey with us

8 comments:

AntiquityTravelers said...

this is so sweet ... makes me smile and cry at the same time. what a special memory for you

Alicia said...

Oh, Dita, such a heartbreaking story and heart warming at the same time. You made me cry! I can feel the love in your blog post - thank you for sharing this part of you.

Anonymous said...

Love this...and your story too!

TesoriTrovati said...

That is such a beautiful story! What a great gift from your father, the memory that you hold will keep you connected forever. Thank you for sharing. Enjoy the day. Erin

SummersStudio said...

That is a beautiful story about you and your father.

Anindita Basu said...

Thank you all for leaving your kind comments. Means a lot to me. Dita

aneri_masi said...

Dita Di, thanks for sharing this lovely story! I think I am going to bring back something of my Daddy's next time too!

Anindita Basu said...

Thank you Kasmira for taking time to read all these and leaving your kind comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...